As the years go on, our world is becoming more and more digital, with the introduction of computers, laptops, tablets, IPads, IPhones and other electronic devices.
It is important for our children to have access to these devices so that they are aware of how to use them safely, as well as understanding their purpose. A high-quality computing education equips children with the skills and knowledge to use computational thinking and creativity to understand and change the world. It allows them to understand how digital systems work, how they can input information into them, and how they can change and adapt their work. It also allows them to express themselves and develop their own ideas.
But how do we keep our children safe when they are using these devices? How can we teach them how to make the right choices when using the Internet?
The National Curriculum in England and Wales, September 2013, states that we should teach children to:
‘use technology safely and respectfully, keeping personal information private; identify where to go for help and support when they have concerns about content or contact on the internet or other online technologies.’
Things we do in school:
- Every term in school, your child is being taught different ways to keep safe when using the Internet, through lessons in the classroom and termly assemblies.
- We also have an e-safety day once a year in the spring term – look out for this on the website/newsletter.
- The 6 top tips for keeping e-safe are also posted on our termly newsletter.
- Parent and child e-safety booklets.
- Aldercar Infant and Nursery School e-safety policy.
- Look out for our Parent workshops on e-safety – come along to discuss and learn how we can work together to ensure the safety of our children when using the Internet.
Places to go for more information…
Apps to download on your phone/tablet…
Remember, the Internet is a wonderful place to learn, find out new ideas and have fun, but we just need to make sure our children are equipped with the knowledge of how to make the right choices, and know what to do if they need help.
Click on the links below to download school information on E Safety: